Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 14 June 2011

What would you say to God?

I recently came across a survey taken from research among 1,500 parents and children aged 8 to 12, which explored the fact that children are baffling their parents with existential questions about God and the meaning of life. From the research they came up with the top ten questions that parents said were unanswerable!!.
  1. Does God exist?
  2. Has God got a beard?
  3. Is there life after death?
  4. If God made us who made God?
  5. What does God look like?
  6. Why is the world here?
  7. Who created God?
  8. Why are people bad to each other?
  9. Am I real or is this just a dream?
  10. If God is everywhere why do we have to go to church to see him?

As I said in my column last week, today, I wanted to tell you what are the top 10 things I would like to say to God. It’s interesting when I thought about this, I realised that 5 of the things I wanted to say took the form of a question. So here are these 5 questions...
Why is there so much evil and suffering in the world?
To be honest I think this is the question on most people’s list and is probably a major stumbling block for many in developing a faith in God. If God is this all-good, all-powerful being, doesn't He have the resources to prevent evil and suffering?

What does the future hold for me?
Will God really forgive all of my sins? Experiencing guilt is like being a live rabbit in the mouth of an enthusiastic dog. It grabs us by the back of the neck and shakes us around. We feel helpless until released from its grip. What we need is forgiveness, whether from the other person or from God.

What does the future hold for me?
It seems only natural to ask God about our future. Deep down we somehow know that God is big and awesome and all-knowing. So why doesn't He let us in on some of what he knows, we ask. He does, if we know where to look.

Aren't all religions the same?
It’s easy to think they are but when you take a closer look at these major belief systems and their views of God, we find tremendous diversity Hindus believe in 300,000 gods; Buddhists say there is no deity; New Age followers believe they are god; Muslims believe in a powerful but detached god; Christians believe in a God who is loving and approachable. Obviously, it is not logical to say that all of these claims are equally true,

What does God want from me?
As we think about God, it seems inevitable that we'll ask Him, "What in the world does God really want from me?" Once we fully grasp what God loves us from, an attitude of thankfulness and service to God will be a natural response. In fact the next 5 things I would say all relate to thankfulness and I’ll tell you these next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment